The Silk Road Literary Festival aims to identify, promote, and celebrate the very best writing from and about Central Asia. In addition to the main festival programme, we award two literary prizes each year. These are the Prize for an Emerging Writer and the Prize for Literature in Translation.
The Silk Road Lit Fest’s judges are high profile figures from the world’s of culture, literature, and publishing who are excited to find new literary voices.
2022 PRIZE FOR AN EMERGING WRITER
The Silk Road Literary Festival will award one prize of £250 to a writer under the age of 35 who writes in English, Russian, or Uzbek, and is currently living in a country included in UNESCO’s Silk Roads Programme. The theme of the 2022 Emerging Writers Prize is “Connectivity” and this should be reflected in submissions.
Writers should submit:
- Either an unpublished short story of up to 3,000 words in length;
- Or an extract of up to 3,000 from a longer unpublished work;
- A written statement confirming that the submission is their own, unpublished work;
- Scan of an ID document showing their date of birth.
2022 PRIZE FOR LITERATURE IN TRANSLATION
The Silk Road Literary Festival will award one prize of £250 to a translator whose target language is English, Russian, or Uzbek, and is currently living in a country included in UNESCO’s Silk Roads Programme.
Translators should submit:
- Their translation of poem or prose extract of up to 1,000 words;
- A copy of the original text which they translated;
- A written statement confirming that the submission is their own, unpublished work.
- All submissions should be sent as a PDF attachment to [email protected] with the prize name in the subject line.
- The deadline for submissions is 31 October, 2022. Entries received after this date will not be considered.
- Entries which do not follow the submission instructions will not be considered.
- Entries will be anonymised before being sent to the judging panel.
- The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be announced by 31 December, 2022.